Everyone who is ready for Spring raise your hand!!!! This has been a rough winter here in Oakland County this 2013/2014 season. The weathermen are forecasting that in the near future we should be above freezing for a couple of days….only in Michigan do people get excited for above 30 degree weather. Hopefully the snow will be able to melt some during this time and we will be able to see what kind of damage it has caused to our houses and yards. Hopefully not to many of you have had leaks from their roof like I had this year. Water damage can lead to all kinds of pest issues.
Read below to get some helpful tips that you can do on your own to help prevent problem pests. You may not be able to start the outside prevention, but you can start with the inside.
- Do not allow food, trash, decaying wood, etc. to accumulate in or on your property.
- Cover or seal trash tightly.
- Cut back limbs, shrubs, and vines that touch or overhang your property.
- Stack firewood off the ground.
- “Weatherize” your home. Seal all possible pest entry points.
- Close all gaps larger than 1.4 inch.
- Check for and remove structural damage such as moisture damaged wood. Water damage can cause weak spots in the roof. Animals may enter through the weakened area. Repair damaged windows and screens.
- Look for holes where roofs overlap.
- Keep gutters clear.
- Chimneys are frequented by squirrels, raccoons, and birds, they represent the single largest opening in a typical home. Consider chimney caps or a wire mesh to cover.
- Install 1/4-inch wire mesh (hardware cloth) over attic, roof, and crawl space vents in order to prevent entry of birds, bats, squirrels, rodents, and other wildlife.
- Before storing end-of-season clothes,make sure they are clean.
- Drawer and cabinet liners, paper grocery bags, and even wallpaper can be a source of food to pests.
- Carefully check for pests in furniture, boxes, paper, and other items before bringing into your home.
- Areas where pipes, cables, and wires enter walls and soffits should be sealed completely.
- Keep all areas where food is prepared, stored, and served clean and free of crumbs and grease. Garbage can lids should be kept closed and secured
- Shuffle stored items regularly and keep boxes tightly sealed in plastic bags.
- Check Storage area for rodents.
Call Sergio’s today for more information on helpful tips and prevention, or to schedule an appointment with one of our technicians. 248-932-0018!
Don’t forget to Spring Forward your clocks this weekend!!